Official pre-compiled binaries

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:00 AM
It looks like version 1.55.0.10 comes with binaries Sergey compiled himself.
My suggestion is to switch to official binaries released by the Boost team http://sourceforge.net/projects/boost/files/boost-binaries/.
Pros:
  1. Easier and faster. You don't need to compile it for multiple platforms yourself.
  2. Authenticity. One can check that NuGet brings the same versions you can get from Boost.org.
Thanks,
Paul
Coordinator
Dec 4, 2013 at 5:39 PM
Edited Dec 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM
I agree with both pros points. However there are some differences between my packages and official binaries. My packages usually include some patches as well. For example, 1.55 contains 2 patches, 1.54 contained about 5 patches. Usually Boost community don't release patched versions of Boost. Sometimes they just publish patches. I hope Git will help them to release more frequently. For now I would like to be able to build it myself.

Boost sometimes need third-party libraries such as stl (STLPort), Python, zlib, ICU, MPI. The questions are which versions of these libraries they use to build their binaries and why.
Dec 4, 2013 at 7:59 PM
Patches make sense. I didn't know Boost team does not release updated binaries. It would be nice to have a list of applied patches in release notes. As well as versions of 3rd-party libraries.

Thanks,
Paul
Coordinator
Dec 31, 2013 at 10:40 AM
New version (1.55.0.16) contains release notes with patches applied (using Git forks).
Dec 31, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Thanks Sergey for a quick turnaround!
Coordinator
Dec 31, 2013 at 5:42 PM
You're welcome, Paul! Happy new year!

On 12/31/2013 3:37 AM, paul_sh wrote:

Thanks Sergey for a quick turnaround!